IRA Charitable Rollover
Making a gift from your IRA to benefit UNM can:
1. Be an easy and convenient way to make a gift from one of your major assets;
2. Be excluded from your gross income: a tax-free rollover;
3. Count toward your required minimum distribution.
For your gift to qualify:
• You must be age 70 1/2 or older;
• The transfer must go directly from your IRA custodian to the UNM Foundation;
• Your IRA gift cannot exceed $100,000.
The information contained herein is offered solely for informational and educational purposes. You should seek the advice of a financial professional for application to your own situation.
Make a Gift.
1. Talk to your tax advisor to determine if this is the right gift vehicle for you.
2. Contact your IRA administrator to request an IRA Charitable Rollover directly to the UNM Foundation. The gift will not qualify as tax-free if the check is made out to you. Distributions may arrive at the UNM Foundation without your name or the area of UNM you wish to support, so please ask your administrator to include this information on the check.
3. Notify a representative of the University of New Mexico Foundation that you will be making an IRA Charitable Rollover gift. Include the name of your IRA administrator, the gift amount, and what UNM program or department the gift will support. Please Note: Your IRA administrator will need to mail your check by year-end in order to count in that tax year. If you have the ability to write checks from your IRA account, send your contribution to the UNM Foundation in time for it to be cashed by December 31st.
For more information, please contact us: